Re: installing kernel 2.6

Jeff Lucas wrote:

>I am having problems after installing the kernel 2.6.14.2.  it comes up with a
>kernel panic and says something about not being able to boot from the hard
>drive.  I'm a new linux user and like it so far, but I'm having trouble
>getting things to work for me.

This thread from October has some good tips for kernel compiling
newbies. Read the whole thread.

>Another problem I'm having is installin the driver for my video card.  It's a
>"Nvidia Gforce 4 MX420."  When I try to install the .run program it tells me
>something about the kernel source.  If someone can help me I would Greatly
>Appreciate it.

I can't help you there.  I don't use non-free drivers. I'd be surprised
if there isn't a few pages on the Web about installing nVidia drivers
though.

Good luck!

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association