installing kernel 2.6

I am having problems after installing the kernel 2.6.14.2.  it comes up with a
kernel panic and says something about not being able to boot from the hard
drive.  I'm a new linux user and like it so far, but I'm having trouble
getting things to work for me.

Another problem I'm having is installin the driver for my video card.  It's a
"Nvidia Gforce 4 MX420."  When I try to install the .run program it tells me
something about the kernel source.  If someone can help me I would Greatly
Appreciate it.

Jeff