Re: MySQL can't work :can't' connect to mysqld , /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:27:00AM +0800, 不坏阿峰 wrote:

> so ,i want to clean MySQL all by apt-get remove mysql-server , rm -fR
> /etc/mysql/, rm -fR /var/lib/mysql ,dpkg -P mysql-server,also remove
> /usr/bin/mysql*(i think these soft may not be deled by ablove command),
> after clean these,i reinstall the MySQL apt-get install mysql-server,but new
> problem appear:
> ARNING: /etc/mysql/my.cnf cannot be read. See README.Debian.
> Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
> Please take a look at the syslog.
> /etc/init.d/mysql: line 102: /usr/bin/mysqladmin: there isn't this file。

You should need to remove any files manually when deleting a package
with apt-get remove, so I'm not sure why that was done.

But anyway, when you remove a package then configuration files will by
default be kept on the machine in case you have changed then and later
want to reinstall the package and retain your config. But in this case
you manually deleted them, so apt is confused why they are not there.

Try:

apt-get remove --purge mysql-server

this removes the package including config files.

apt-get install mysql-server

/Daniel