Using LaTeX (was: Re: Writing technical text - THANKS !)

Hi, John and others.

On Nov 15 2005, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> One thing I don't understand about LaTeX/TeX though is why it's so
> darn big and complicated.

LaTeX isn't big. Well, it does have some core packages, but they surely
aren't *that* many.

The "complicated" part is probably using "external" packages. For each
one of these, you indeed have to read its documentation.

> Sure it's easy to use (as long as you don't want to do anything out of
> the ordinary), but I've never been able to understand how all the
> parts fit together.

I would say that many people learn LaTeX the wrong way: getting a poorly
designed document and just changing it quickly until it contains more or
less what the person wants it to have.

This is wrong in, at least, two aspects:

1 - this is not in line with the philosophy of LaTeX of separation of
    content and presentation (which was here for a loooong time before
    people in the Web decided to use Cascading Style Sheets with their
    pages and all the technology that accompanies XML);

2 - as an extension of point 1, I'd say that writers should learn at
    least a modicum of how to use LaTeX macro, so that they create new
    environments for their necessities instead of hardcoding things.

    See, if you have a good macro, you can even put that in a style file
    of your own and forget about formatting something in that way in the
    future. In this sense, you can regard your style file as a "library"
    (in the computer programming sense) of distilled knowledge.

    And this also implies that a good approach to using LaTeX is to
    regard the text as "the source code" of your text and even use tools
    like control revision systems (e.g., RCS, CVS, Subversion etc).

> "apt-get install" is great here, since installing from source has got
> to be a nightmare.

Don't forget to install tetex-doc and use the "TeX Catalogue on-line"
for looking for packages to accomplish what you want. Also, a *very*
good source of information here is the UK TeX FAQ (search in Google).
Not only it is very good, but it is quite entertaining.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/