Re: Is Debian ready for the desktop?

Joey Hess wrote:

[snip]

Have you even looked at the debian installer in the past year? Just
curious. This is an area where it's completly possible to satisfy both
groups.

I think the point is that just installing the stuff is only half the story. It's like providing the raw ingredients for a meal. They still have to be prepared and cooked. Some folks lack the time and perhaps the skills for that, which is where the desktop-friendly distros come in. The only two I know well (apart from Debian) are Ubuntu and SUSE and it's clear they make 101 tweaks around the place to offer what they consider to be a good "user experience", including those "your updates are now read apps", firewalls (in the case of SUSE), more attention to help files, more eyecandy, package selections heavily biased towards click-and-go apps and all the rest. No doubt Debian could do something similar and roll it up into a new task selection, but it would be a pretty huge amount of work, I would guess. So yes, the current Debian installer is darn nice, but for many desktop users that's not the only thing.

:)

Fish