Re: Is Debian ready for the desktop?

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 06:17:17PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I would have stopped at "not tuned."  Debian doesn't make stupid assumptions
> as to how you're going to use the machine.  This is a feature, not an
> oversight.

It's not an oversight, certainly.  Philosophically Debian goes for
flexibility and giving the administrator maximum power and choice.  This is
at the expense of ease-of-installation by someone who just wants to put the
CD in, make two or three selections, click OK, and half an hour later start
working.

I use Debian, but I'm a professional system administrator.  I (and
apparently the Debian leaders) see value in Ubuntu, Progeny, and the rest as
alternatives for people who DON'T want to spend years educating themselves
before using their computers.  I've read that one of the original goals of
the Debian project was to be the core of other, more specialized distros.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.