Re: Got totally messed up with Debian Unstable

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

>All Nicks Are Taken wrote:
>

>>Hi.
>>A few of days ago I decided I want to upgrade my Sarge to Sid
>>(unstable) and so I did (changed the apt sources list, as I've read in
>>some article.)
>>Couple of days ago everything worked fine, absolutely no problems; a
>>clean shutdown with nothing suspicious.
>>Yesterday I booted up my PC and to my surprise, everything was messed
>>up. At first, I could see GDM wasn't loaded, and later I descovered
>>that no partitions have been mounted except the / partition; then, I
>>also found that no network is up and some modules haven't been loaded.
>>The messages at the booting stage contained lots of errors...
>>I tried to mount the /usr partition manually, and it went fine. also
>>all the partitions I mounted manually were ok, and all the data on the
>>HD was ok, including /boot (and lilo.)
>>But I really don't know what to do now... Something like this has
>>never happend to me.
>>Here is my 'dmesg' output:
>>http://metawire.org/~crux/dmesg <http://metawire.org/%7Ecrux/dmesg>
>>
>>Any idea what can I do now? I'm pretty clewless...
>>

>Did your old (working) /etc/fstab get hosed by a new non-worky fstab?
>You *do* have a backup of your old /etc/fstab don't you? :)
>
>That would be my first step.

Also, this is your golden opportunity to become clueful.  Just this sort
of circumstance is what helped a great many of us to learn the ins and
outs of GNU/Linux system administration...  Carpe diem! :)

Or, if you just need your system to work, reinstall Sarge on your / and
remount your /home...

Good luck!

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association