Re: Debian Raid Crash Repair

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Siju George wrote:

> I had a mirror o sarge with 2 disks. One of them failed now. I had
> given an option for 1 spare disk while configuring Raid. Could some
> one please tell me what I should do to Place a new disk and recreate
> the mirror?? Should I manually partition the new disk or is there a
> command that I can run after connecting the disk so that the Raid
> Partitions will be created automatically and the rest of the space in
> the hard disk be freely available? I would like to place an 80 GB disk
> instead of a 40 GB one.

- it would be pointless to use a new 80gb disk instead of a 40gb disk
	- the other 40gb is sorta wasted and unused

- if your system crashed:
	- why did it crash
	- how did it crash
	- when did it crash
	- did you change software/upgrades
	- is it still running in degraded mode
	- did you backup the data on a new media ( eg the new 80gb disk )

	- buy hardware that doesn't break ... disk doesn't die as much
	as dead fans or dead power supplies ...
		ie .. if you didn't replace fans and ps before ...
		the vendor of your disks is probably throwing it around
		like baseballs

- if your raid is configured properly ..
	- you will be able to pull any single disk out and it will
	still boot and operate ( but you dont have the redundancy anymore)

	- you will be able to install a new disk, partition it the
	same as the disk you're replacing, and "the raid" should
	start syncing the new disk into the raid array

- cat /proc/mdstat to see what is doing or not doing
	- if its syncing .. leave it alone .. do not power off,
	or add new files, unless you like to be on the bleeding
	edge and test that the raid stuff is working "right"

c ya
alvin