usb printer disappeared (dist-upgrade?)

it seems quite stupid, I'm using to linux since 1993 more or less, but all these modern graphic or automatic fluffs don't help me much...

well, the problem is that I cannot print any more. cups did work and the only cause I can think of is a dist-upgrade.

my printer is an epson stylus c46, connected via usb to an "flower power" iMac of 2001.

yes, I'm running Debian GNU/linux, which distribution, well, that is a problem. I installed woody from cdroms, then I moved to sarge because of the audio drivers, but my mistake was to actually move to "testing" rather than the literal "sarge". now I am on testing which is etch, if I understood the logic. I was trying to move back to sarge: to do that I wrote some information into /etc/apt/preferences which probably was not such a good idea (I got some unstable packages.!), anyways, this is an other problem, let's go back to the printer...

it stopped working and my recovery procedures stopped working as well.
I removed it, reinstalled, removed and purged, reinstalled, reiterated, reconfigured, retried, but not recovered. everything looks just perfect as long as I don't try printing anything!

apt-get --purge remove cupsys cups-pdf cupsys-driver-gimpprint
apt-get install cupsys cups-pdf cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data

I start cups and it says everything is all right.
<DefaultPrinter epson>
Info epson stylus C46
Location usb://EPSON/Stylus C46
DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

so you say everything is all right, right, then print something!
no.
<DefaultPrinter epson>
Info epson stylus C46
Location usb://EPSON/Stylus C46
DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0
State Stopped
StateMessage Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

this was what my system kept saying when it worked and when I tried to print without first switching the printer on
but the printer _is_ on and the system does see it (/proc/bus/usb/devices):
T:  Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=03 Dev#=  7 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=0005 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=USB Printer
S:  SerialNumber=HU5QV0501172333510
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

what am I missing?

ideas?

thanks in advance,
Mario