Annoying Gnome problem

Hi,

For some time now I have been bothered by a problem when running Gnome as my display manager. Whenever I try to do "su -" from a console I get the following 5 warnings:

nordbo@hugin:~$ su -
Password:
configuration error - unknown item 'QUOTAS_ENAB' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CLOSE_SESSIONS' (notify administrator)
hugin:~#

As far as I can tell, the only thing I did was call a apt-get dist-upgrade. Note that it does drop a root shell as asked.

The problem with it is that it breaks the GUI access to every task in the Administration menu (Boot, Disks, Networking, Printing, Services, Shared Folders, Synaptic Package Manager, Time and Date, Users and Groups) with the following error message:
Failed to run disks-admin as user root:
Failed to communicate with gksu-run-helper.
configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_
While expecting:
gksu: waiting

As root I can run the commands as needed, so it must be the su functionality that has the problem.

The question is how do I fix it so that the GUI options work?