Re: Request to remove Information

On 11/12/05, Seth Goodman <sethg@goodmanassociates.com> wrote:
> It is illegal in the U.S. to discriminate on the basis of race, creed,
> national origin and numerous other factors in hiring.  There are
> exceptions where a job requires a security clearance and there are
> probably other exceptions I am unaware of.  Most jobs, however, are
> subject to the laws against discrimination.  As we are all well aware,
> most companies do _not_ discriminate based on national origin in their
> hiring decisions because aside from it being illegal, there are large
> civil remedies.  Discrimination lawsuits are horribly expensive and
> often successful.

What companies *can* easily do in the U.S. is to require that
applicants be either citizens or permanent residents.  You can't force
an employer to pay for your visa.  The "permanent resident"
requirement can put up a sizeable barrier.  Many tech companies choose
to pay for employee visas because it either makes it easier to fill
the position or it allows them to hire people who, even with the cost
of the visa included, ask a low enough salary to keep average pay
levels down.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh