Re: may-day\

Cristian Zapelli <cristian.zapelli@poste.it> writes:

> I've surfed the Debian site and I'm very interested in getting this
> O.S. At the moment I have Xp installed on my PC, and to tell the
> truth, I don't wanna get rid of it....anyway I want the Gnu/linux O.S.

You can install Debian alongside Windows. This is called "dual booting",
and you can find plenty of information about it on the web.

> 1)Which architecture shall I choose between the many I saw? What does
> the choise depend on?on my hardware?(I've a pentium 4, 3.40ghz)

That would be the i386 architecture.

> 2)i think i should download the latest stable version of Debian....but
> which files should i download(for example when I get to the mirror,
> i've a list of 14-15 files with torrent extension- shall i Download
> all of these files?)

If you have a network connection, one disc is enough. It will get the
packages you need from the net. If that is what you want to do, you can
get debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso

If you can't do a network installation, you should get
debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso. You can get the rest of the binary-n
discs if you need packages that aren't on the first one.