may-day\

Hi,
I've surfed the Debian site and I'm very interested in getting this O.S. At the moment I have Xp installed on my PC, and to tell the truth, I don't wanna get rid of it....anyway I want the Gnu/linux O.S. First of all, I'm italian, so if you think someone can give me help from Italy, I think it would be better both for you and me...anyway,
here I expose to you some questions:
1)Which architecture shall I choose between the many I saw? What does the choise depend on?on my hardware?(I've a pentium 4, 3.40ghz) 2)i think i should download the latest stable version of Debian....but which files should i download(for example when I get to the mirror, i've a list of 14-15 files with torrent extension- shall i Download all of these files?)
Up to now I think this shoul be enough...
Sorry for disturbing you, but i'm neophyte of Devian and i need your help
Thank you so much, i hope you can cooperate with me
Good bye,
Cristian.