Re: Many packages missing from testing

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:37:49PM -0700, Scott wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >>
> >Please do a quick Google search.  This topic has been rehashed many many
> >many many (did I mention many?) times over the past few years.
> >-Roberto
>
> Actually it hasn't been "over the past few years".  The problem he is speaking
> of is somewhat different and was mentioned in another message earlier in this
> thread....
>
> ( http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/11/msg01380.html )
>
> I love it when people who think they are right (and aren't) rudly rub other's
> noses in thier "error""

His idea is really no different.  There have been plenty of disussions
in the past about how to restructure Debian to make it more "desktop
fiendly."

There has been talk of splitting into a "desktop" release and a "server"
release.  There has been talk of releasing every six months (like
Fedora) and many proposals about modifying the testing propogation
process.  The point is, that there is no way to make everyone happy.

As it stands, Debian prizes stability over most everything else, at
least in its Stable release.  Thus, if you want the most current
applications, then unstable is the place to be.  The original proposal,
to add something like testing-new would best be implemented as an alias
to unstable, since adding an entire new distribution would be very
expensive in terms of infrastructure and package maintainer effort.

I was not trying to discount him or "rub his nose in it."  I was simply
pointing out that he was treadign a well-worn path and that a bit of
Google searching would reveal rationale for why things are the way they
currently are.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez