Re: Many packages missing from testing

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 08:17:44PM +0200, Joona Kiiski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Now for about two weeks there have been many packages out of testing. I'm
> must wondering what's the point? Those missing packages prevent me from
> upgrading because there are many among those which I desperatily need and I
> don't want to start hacking apt. Wouldn't it be better to have an unstable
> version of packages in testing than no version at all!

Certainly not.  If you want unstable packages, then use *unstable*.  If
you want to help test the next Debian release, then use *testing*.  If
you want something that will always work, then use *stable*.

> Okay, you are pros, I'm just a newbie and there must be a good reason for
> this, this situation is just irritating. Maybe you could consider having
> four versions
> of debian in transition phase, like: stable, testing, testing-new, unstable.
> And when 99.5% packages would have entered testing-new it could replace
> testing. Just an idea, maybe it would just make things too complicated for
> developers and maintainers.

Please do a quick Google search.  This topic has been rehashed many many
many many (did I mention many?) times over the past few years.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto