Re: Many packages missing from testing

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:01:49AM +0200, Joona Kiiski wrote:
> > Certainly not.  If you want unstable packages, then use *unstable*.  If
> > you want to help test the next Debian release, then use *testing*.  If
> > you want something that will always work, then use *stable*.
>
> Yes, I've tried them all.
> * Unstable was a bit too unstable for my taste.
> * Stable is fine, but I don't really enjoy using only old software.
> Often there comes new interesting software in testing, which really is
> "stable enough" for me and installing it in stable is hard
> (download+check dependencies+compile+install) and could easily lead to
> bad problems (library incompatibilities etc.).
> * So that's why my choice is and will be testing. 98% of the time it
> fits my bill perfectly. And sometimes (I hope) I can file an useful
> bug report which can help the development of debian. It's just sad
> that rarely testing gets 'broken' as badly as it's now, but if it
> can't be avoided then it can't be avoided and that's it. I can live
> with it: just postpone 'dist-upgrade' long enough or change to
> unstable for a while.

This is like the old saying: "Fast, Secure, Cheap.  Pick two."

The reality is that "stable enough for you" may still not be stable
enough to enter testing.  I have written a howto [0] an customizing
packages.  You may want to take a look at it.  Personally, I run stable
since I don't have time to waste with my machines not working.  However,
like you, there are certain programs I would like to use.  In those
cases, I backport the packages back to Sarge and place them in my
personal repository.  You may want to give that a shot.

> My purpose was not to complain. I have some coding experience (not
> much but some) and  I can only imagine what kind of mess so large
> library transition could be with all those new bugs and problems
> hiding around. I really appriciate that great job you volunteer for,
> really.
>
> I just wanted to share my view to this subject (and I'm quite sure
> there are hundreds of other testing users who think similar way as I
> do), but as I wrote earlier in this message if this subject has
> already been dicided by pros and 'breaking' testing once in a while
> cannot be avoided, then let it be that way.
>
> Thank you for your answers,

-Roberto

[0] http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

--