Re: Testing vs. Stable

Rafi Gabzu wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. After installing the "Testing"  release , is it possible to upgrade
> it to the "stable" release ?

Not really.  Read about Debian releases here:
http://www.us.debian.org/releases/

> 2. When installing "Testing", do I always stay in the "Testing"  phase
> ,or after it finally become "stable"  I become stable too ...?

You always stay in "testing" if your /etc/apt/sources.list file refers
to "testing" as its repository.  You'll "become stable" if your
sources.lst uses "etch" as the repository name.

Here, for example is and excerpt from my sources.lst:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Note that the entries use "stable" as the repository name.  This means
that I'll always be using the "stable" distribution, whether it is
Woody, Sarge, Etch, or whatever.

HTH

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association