Re: Home surveillance

On Thursday 10 November 2005 06:47, Billy Morgan wrote:
>On Wednesday 09 November 2005 12:36, Ueli Meier wrote:
>> Hi
>> Is there anyone who set up a home surveillance system wit Linux?
>> Im thinking of using a normal web-cam and a Laptop computer.
>> What are the requirements?
>> Is there any software that can start record automatically when there
>> is some Movement, and pause when movement stops?
>> Purpose to keep an eye on the fruit trees.
>>
>> Ueli
>
>There's a program called motion thats pretty easy to setup and works
> well. Watching fruit trees might be a problem though as they will tend
> to move in the wind and trigger the motion sensor. Maybe you should try
> razor wire, landmines and a scarecrow?

A shotgun also helps.  Perhaps a sign that says:
"No trespassing, I have a shotgun and a shovel.  Any questions?"

But thats usefull only if they read english. :-)

That said, motion is a very cpu intensive way to detect motion, I
looked at it too.  The heyu/xtend with a eagle-eye PIR x10 motion
detector won't overheat the cpu.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)