Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 10:04 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> >>As an example, I tried to find a database which could support
> >>
> >>	client-server architecture, client and server
> >>		on separate computers
> >>	8 million records
> >>	ten byte unique key, ~50 byte records
> >>	8500 probes per second, most of which would fail
> >>		to find a matching record, so would
> >>		plumb the entire depth of the database
> >>	automatic fail-over to another server when server goes down
> >>	fail-over must take place in 10ms or less
> >>	database can be updated at rate of 100+ records
> >>		per second while actively being probed
> >

> > Alpha VMS & the Rdb database (purchase by Oracle from DEC back in
> > 1994) can *easily* handle this.
> >
> > It'll cost you, though.
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> I'm not going to go into details, because that wouldn't be
> fair to them. And I'm sure that Rdb is a fine DBMS. But
> Rdb was one of the systems I evaluated in about 1998 or so.

1998, huh?  It could be done back then.  A co-worker was at ATT
Wireless back then and they used Rdb for their billing system.
Lots of inserts, lots of reads.

Needed (and needs) lots of expensive h/w, though.

> Let's not get into a debate.

No debate, just mentioning.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Why don't liberal Democrats stand up and say, "I am liberal and
proud of it!"? Conservatives would respect them more.