Re: Bind TTL changes

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:18:07AM -0500, Tony Heal wrote:
> I have a DNS server (Debian woody, bind v8.3.3-2.0woody2) that I need to
> move. It has been suggested that I change the TTL to an hour so that all
> name servers with anything cached will expire during the physical move of my
> server. Thus reducing my downtime to the time it take to move the computer
> hosting DNS.
>
> I am a little confused about what needs to be set. I would like the cache to
> expire in 1 hour, so I think I need to change (see  below) refresh to 1800,
> expire to 3600. Is this correct?
>

> @       IN      SOA dns.mydomain.com. postmaster.mydomain.com. (
>                         2005110200   ; serial number
>                         3600         ; refresh
>                         300          ; retry
>                         86400        ; expire
>                         900        ) ; minimum TTL

I think that it means you need to change the TTL for each entry.  In my
BIND configuration, I have the line "$TTL    604800" at the beginning of
each db file, which makes it apply to all entries in the file.

However, if you want to set the TTL to 60 (for 1 hour) and then move the
server, you need to wait for $time after you update the TTL, where $time
is the length of the original TTL.  In my case, I have my TTL set to 1
week.  So, I would need to change it to 60, wait 1 week and then I could
do it.  The reason is that that resolvers that queried you 5 minutes
before the change have the TTL set to whatever your previous TTL was.

I hope that I correctly understood what you were asking.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto