Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

> Nate and Mike drive home the point that GNU/Linux isn't fit-for-purpose when
> it comes to telco.  I trust that isn't much of a suprise to those who are
> aware of the requirements and isn't much to be bothered about either.  I only
> mention this because of rabid GNU/Linux partisans who can be rather manic
> about FLOSS being everywhere and doing everything.  Their enthusiasm is
> endearing even if misdirected IMO.

Those arguments only hold in a restricted number of countries:
Remebering my first post:
Mean response times after asking for support:

Sparc/Solaris: 1 week (soft) 3 monthes (hard)
IBM PPC/AIX: 4 days (soft)/ 1 week (hard)
x86/Linux: 6 hours (soft)/ 1 hour (hard)

And I am not talking of the costs of the various solution, since
probably the x86 solution will be have some smuggled parts while the
Sparc will not (80% taxes difference).

> FLOSS is about politics and economics as much as it is about good software.
> There are areas such as telco where the natural forces just don't come
> together to enable it -- yet.  Who knows what the future may bring.

The natural forces beeing the anti-natural capitalistic driven insurance
companies?
That remembers me the "certificated" UNIX issue.
A product is not better because it is "certificated", the "certificate'
only shows it had the money to get the certificate.

Michel.