Re: Booting 2.6.8 on x686 Sarge without initrd: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

>> The default kernel configuration has the EXT2 compiled in, EXT3 and
>> ATA/ATAPI/SCSI drivers compiled as modules. I turned on EXT3 (used as my
>> root fs) so that it is compiled into the kernel and it still doesn't
boot.

>Ok that's a start, did you run make-kpkg clean before recompiling and
>give it a different name/version?

I ran `make-kpkg clean; make-kpkg --revision=custom.2.6.8 kernel_image` and
dpkg -i....

> There are many selection of ATA/ATAPI PCI IDE drivers and its various
> parameters (DMA and so on). All of the drivers are compiled as modules
with
> PCI interrupt sharing and PCI DMA turned on.

>That's correct and they usually all get loaded as permanent modules with
>a standard kernel via the initrd.

This does not apply anymore in my case that I don't use initrd.....

> Does this mean that I have to
> boot up the system with stock kernel, check the dmesg to see which driver
> is used and run `make xconfig` to compile that driver into the kernel..?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> TEH

>you could just try lspci -vv to see if you can identify the module
>required for ide.  if not post to the list.

See attached.

Thanks & Regards,
TEH
(See attached file: lspci_output)