Re: Booting 2.6.8 on x686 Sarge without initrd: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

KokHow Teh wrote:
Hi;
      I am building 2.6.8 kernel source on my x686 Sarge system wihtout
using initrd. The kernel-patch.2.6.8 only applies to the prebuilt 2.6.8_2
kernel package and not a prestine kernel. So, I am not using initrd for my
2.6.8 kernel build. The system boots up but cannot mount teh root fs. What
am I missing?
      Any advice and insight is appreciated.

Regards,
TEH

If your not using initrd make sure the driver for the root filesystem is compiled into the kernel 'y' as opposed to as a module 'm'.

HTH

Wackojacko