Re: Freezing, SMP Kernel and P4

On 06/11/05, David R. Litwin <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a Pentium Four processor with 3.06GHz speed. As far as I can tell, this means that I am eligible to use a 686-smp kernel. Though in comparison to the non smp kernel it seems to be much faster, an odd thing is also happening which I can only attribute to the smp (since I have not really seen it on the non smp kernel). My computer is doing some big-time freezing. It seems to be random, happening a few hours after I turn on my laptop; or only a few minutes. I have to manually do a hard reboot, which means it needs to run fsck which means data can be lost or corrupted (aside from it possibly damaging the whole computer and generally being a very big pain in the arse).

I'd like to know your opinions. Is this freezing due to the smp? If so, why? How can I fix it?

I thank you kindly in advance.

To add a bit to the fun, I can no longer log in under my user name from KDM (I've not tried GDM). I can, however, from a console. But, I do not know how to start KDE from a console: Doing startx gives Gnome, which is not what I use.

I believe that the problem is with X. I could be completely mistaken. I'm thinking of purging all of it (apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-dbg and maybe xserver-xfree86). Is this a good idea?

I would be very grateful for any help whatsoever as my system is really becoming unusable. Not to mention data is being corrupted every time I must do a hard re-boot. And it hampers me from doing my work.

I thank you most kindly in advance.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.