Re: Problems configuring wu-ftpd

On Tue November 8 2005 01:14 pm, Romulo Sousa wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue November 8 2005 12:16 pm, Romulo Sousa wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I'm configuring a guest ftp server. The user is authenticated
> > > normally. When the user try to view the context of the directory,
> > > nothing show them up after an upload of a file. But when I list this
> > > directory via ssh, I notice the file is there (though I can't see it
> > > neither via ftp client nor via browser).
> > > The unique howto that I've see about this told me the following:
> > >
> > > "NOTE WELL: if you cannot see the directory contents after you login
> > > as the guest user, the 'ls' program that you installed is not working.
> > > If you use an 'ls' linked for dynamic libraries, and you do not have
> > > the required libraries and/or devices installed properly in the guest
> > > tree, 'ls' will not work and you will not see the contents of the
> > > guest directory."
> > >
> > > source: http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO
> > >
> > > Sorry, but it didn't help to figure out this problem. Doesn't my 'ls'
> > > work? If so, how should I reinstall it?
> > >
> > > I would be glad if somebody could help me w/ any documentation or even
> > > w/ tips about what I might be doing for the context of my directory
> > > simply is refusing to show me up.
> >
> > I use wu-ftpd here also, and haven't had any problems. It could be that
> > the user doesn't have permission to view the incoming directory? I have
> > never used it as yet, my server is an anonymous server so various folks
> > can grab files and I've not had problems with that.
> >
> > No one has ever uploaded anything here, so I have never gotten any
> > reports of problems, but then no one has ever tried. :)
> >
> > Is it files in your incoming directory that your having problems with?
>
> should i create "/../../incoming" directory w/ this exactly name? or
> directories such as:
> /home/user/bin
> /home/user/etc
> /home/user/dev
> must be created for any purpose?
>
> i'm trying to understand the logic involved. first look, i thought it
> would be a closer configuration regarding squid.....but for a guest is
> one and anonymous is another...then i'm dummed! :-P
>
> for a guest configuration i've done the following (w/ commands to be
> shortly ok?) :
> - adduser user
> - addgroup client
> - mkdir /home/user/directory (this is the default directory when users
> access my box).
> - chmod properly the directories created as well as their groups.
> -> i've read about chroot users....but i didn't understand about it.
> man pages didn't help me very much....
> "chroot - run command or interactive shell with special root directory"
> - configure my ftpaccess as i've read at
> http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO

wu-ftpd only has access to it's home directory, it is chrooted or jailed there
so no one can access the rest of your system from there. On my setup public
files (for anyone, nobody cares who) go into the pub directory off wu-ftpd's
home directory. If you want to give certain users access to certain
directories you'll need to create those directories in wu-ftpd's home also
with the appropriate permissions and setup in wu-ftpd's config.

Hope that helps.. :)