Re: Problems configuring wu-ftpd

On 11/8/05, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Tue November 8 2005 12:16 pm, Romulo Sousa wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm configuring a guest ftp server. The user is authenticated
> > normally. When the user try to view the context of the directory,
> > nothing show them up after an upload of a file. But when I list this
> > directory via ssh, I notice the file is there (though I can't see it
> > neither via ftp client nor via browser).
> > The unique howto that I've see about this told me the following:
> >
> > "NOTE WELL: if you cannot see the directory contents after you login
> > as the guest user, the 'ls' program that you installed is not working.
> > If you use an 'ls' linked for dynamic libraries, and you do not have
> > the required libraries and/or devices installed properly in the guest
> > tree, 'ls' will not work and you will not see the contents of the
> > guest directory."
> >
> > source: http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO
> >
> > Sorry, but it didn't help to figure out this problem. Doesn't my 'ls'
> > work? If so, how should I reinstall it?
> >
> > I would be glad if somebody could help me w/ any documentation or even
> > w/ tips about what I might be doing for the context of my directory
> > simply is refusing to show me up.
>
> I use wu-ftpd here also, and haven't had any problems. It could be that the
> user doesn't have permission to view the incoming directory? I have never
> used it as yet, my server is an anonymous server so various folks can grab
> files and I've not had problems with that.
>
> No one has ever uploaded anything here, so I have never gotten any reports of
> problems, but then no one has ever tried. :)
>
> Is it files in your incoming directory that your having problems with?

should i create "/../../incoming" directory w/ this exactly name? or
directories such as:
/home/user/bin
/home/user/etc
/home/user/dev
must be created for any purpose?

i'm trying to understand the logic involved. first look, i thought it
would be a closer configuration regarding squid.....but for a guest is
one and anonymous is another...then i'm dummed! :-P

for a guest configuration i've done the following (w/ commands to be
shortly ok?) :
- adduser user
- addgroup client
- mkdir /home/user/directory (this is the default directory when users
access my box).
- chmod properly the directories created as well as their groups.
-> i've read about chroot users....but i didn't understand about it.
man pages didn't help me very much....
"chroot - run command or interactive shell with special root directory"
- configure my ftpaccess as i've read at
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO

thanks a lot!

Romulo Sousa