Re: Wireless card...

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:05:07AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Martin Fluch wrote:
>
> > Hi Finnish friends!
> >
> > A friend of mine who got an wireless access point and would like to
> > connect his desktop PC (running under Debian) to it. But I have a bit
> > problem to decide which wireless PCI cards offered at Verkokauppa are
> > supported by the most current linux kernels. Anyone with experience?
>
> buy a cisco card ( not linksys ) or atheros chipset based or prism54 based
>
> for a list of cards or drivers in the kernel
>
> 	{/usr/local/src}/linux-2.4.31//drivers/net/wireless/
>
> if you use a usb wifi stick .. it can be used on laptops too
>
> if you want wpa with your ap .. you're on the bleeding edge
>
> c ya
> alvin

Hi,

Which kernel is s/he running, 2.4 or 2.6? Which standard is the access
point (a/b/g) s/he is using? PCI-cards seem to be able to handle all
three, so that might not be the limiting factor.

Verkkokauppa carries mostly D-Link wireless products. There seems to be
one 3Com 11A/B/G card (3Com product number 3CRDAG675) but I couldn't
find that particular card in the 2.6.14 wireless drivers.

There is also some Buffalo, Linksys and ZyXEL PCI-cards in Verkkokauppa,
so anybody with experience with those, please jump in.

I have an external wireless adapter (D-Link DWL-810) which is great
because it can be connected to anything which has a NIC. There is the
standard network connector and it has a web based setup, so it is really
compatible with anything.

PS: Does it have to be from Verkkokauppa? I'm using Tietoasema nowadays,
as I noticed that the service is really professional and the prices are
sometimes even cheaper than in Verkkokauppa.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature