Re: Useful GUI apps on low-mem computers?

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:56:00 -0500
Mitch Wiedemann <mitch@ithacafreesoftware.org> wrote:

> My question is, if you had a computer with 64 MB of RAM, and you wanted
> to give the novice user the ability to browse the web, use e-mail,
> instant messaging, create documents and spreadsheets, etc.   What window
> manager and GUI applications would you choose?

I first suggestion (because I have actually tried it) is DSL (Damn Small
Linux).

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Another candidate that I have not tried is Puppy Linux.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/

I would use the 2 slowest machines you have and compare how they run,
ease of configuration, etc...

Later, Seeker