Re: Subversion repository permissions

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> I've investigated further, and it definitely has nothing to do with
> logrotate or postrotate. This is clear because the problem occurred in
> a period when logrotate was not run.
>
> The problem is not _that_ strongly connected to Apache. The real problem
> is the user that runs svn at the time when the Berkeley DB happens to
> rotate its logs, and that has nothing to do with logrotate, I'm pretty
> sure. In fact, I'm not sure it is "logs" in the common sense at all, it
> may be svn giving it that name.

The problem is actually that you're using subversion with the bdb
backend. It is more or less impossible to fix subversion with bdb to
avoid all permissions issues of this sort. You can find (some of) the
gory details explained in the subversion book.

The simplest solution is to switch it to use the fsfs backend, which
uses some simple tricks (and a much more sensible design) to utterly
avoid the whole class of permissions issues that affect bdb.

As a bonus, you can close the gaping hole of having a huge, complex
apache daemon that needs write access to your repository for even
anonymous checkouts, since unlike bdb, fsfs does not need to be writable
for read-only access.

--
see shy jo