WIreless connectivity at boot

There has been this problem with my wireless connectivity that is getting on my nerves. Every time I reboot I have to go through a series of procedures just to get my wireless card to connect to my wireless router. Unfortunately, I have never been able to pin down what exact procedure I need to follow. But here are a few things I can say for sure.

At boot up there is 0 connectivity with my wireless router. However, eth1 (the wireless card) is active (enabled). I have to manually issue the command:

iwconfig eth1 key restricted **************

And then I seem to have connectivity to the router. I judge that I have connectivity by the fact that the network icon turns from 1 red diamond to several blue ones. However, I never get an ip address from the router. Then I just go through a series of ifconfigs and ifups and ifdowns, etc., sometimes even /etc/init.d/network restart before finally I get an ip address. Kind of a hassle. How can I make this more automatic?

Here is my interfaces file:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0