Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:17:59 -0900
From: Gunnar Hallgren <aske me if you want his address>
To: pabloaguiar at brfree.com.br
Subject: root partition (reiserfs) mounting read-only on boot

I had the exact same problem tonight after a kernel upgrde, but I
quickly ruled that out as all my backup kernels exhibited the same
problem.

My fix: in fstab, make sure that "rw" is included in the reiserfs
options for your root dir. eg,

/dev/hdc2 / reiserfs notail,noatime,rw 0 1

I have never needed to explicity tell it to mount rw in fstab before, so
I never put that in until tonight. This is probably the dumbest thing I
have ever seen in Linux. I cannot figure out what broke what... or
when... or why... but this was the last-ditch effort that I truly did
not expect to do anything. As far as I can tell from your description in
linux.debian.user, our problems were identical, so I would surmise that
this will get you going too.

Good luck!

--
Gunnar Hallgren

== End forwarded message ==

Thanks to Gunnar.

Please excuse me for my [1]last message, Sylpheed doesn't seem to work
well with in-reply-to. :/

 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/11/msg00839.html

Regards,
--
 .''`.  Pablo Aguiar <pabloaguiar em brfree.com.br>
: :'  :  Proud Debian GNU/Linux Admin and User