Re: wrangling screen and btdownloadcurses [solved]

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I have a custom GNU/Linux live CD that I am offering for download via
>bittorrent.  I have been using a "screen" session to run
>"btdownloadcurses" to seed the download on my Web server.  This works
>just fine for a while and then stops working until I kill the
>btdownloadcurses and restart it.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to get this to work more reliably (without timing
>out, or whatever it's doing)?
>
>I have a working bash script to start the screen + btdownloadcurses that
>I am considering scheduling every hour with cron.  But I would need
>another script to gracefully kill the screen + btdownload first.
>
>All of this has gotten rather Rube Goldberg-esque, so I thought it might
>be time to ask for help. :)

Here's an update to my previously posted conundrum (included below) for
posterity.

The problem wasn't that the "seed" client was timing out, or anything
like that.  The problem was that the seed client (btdownloadcurses) was
never registering with the tracker that was running on the same server.

The solution was to build my .torrent file in a different manner so that
my seed client could properly communicate with the tracker that was
running on the localhost.

So, instead of building the .torrent file like this:
btmakemetafile http://my.webserver.org:6969/announce hugefile.iso

I had to build it with this command:
btmakemetafile http://localhost:6969/announce hugefile.iso

I also run the btdownloadcurses client with the "--ip [my.ext.ip.addr]"
option.

With the revised .torrent file, I can run my tracker and my seed client
quite happily from the same host, and (this is the important bit) other
hosts can find and use the seed.

Nice.

The updated howto is here if anyone cares;
http://ithacafreesoftware.org/Members/mitch/notebook/bt_howto

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association