Re: Serial ATA Hardware RAID recommendations?

On 11/4/05, Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to probe the list to see what hardware RAID solutions people
> can recommend that will:
>
> 1. Take 5/6 SATA disks for RAID 5/6/10
> 2. Allow them to be hot-plugged (with or without Jeff Garzik's
> in-progress SATA hotplug patches)
> 3. Do the work in hardware
> 4. Be fast and reliable
>
> All I've done previously is software RAID 10 which I'm happy with, but
> I'm now building a high-performance database / file server and don't
> want the machine spending time calculating parity and so on.
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

I've used 3ware SATA RAID cards (8xxx and 9xxx series) for a long
time, in several servers, and I love 'em. They work far better than
any SCSI RAID cards I've used (except for raw speed, of course. SCSI >
SATA) and are supported very well under Linux and FreeBSD.

I don't know how well they work with Linux "hotplug" stuff, but I do
know that you can hot swap the drives within RAIDs easily, as that's
all handled by the card itself.