Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

2005/11/4, Yuriy Kuznetsov <yuriy.kuznetsov@gmail.com>:

[trimmed]

> I do agree with Lars regarding Solaris being on edge of advanced
> technologies. Besides S10 now open sourced (visit www.opensolaris.org,
> download and try yourself, also plenty of blogs by different
> categories) to community and Sun is planning to work very close with
> community developing future releases of Solaris.
> I'm not here to say anything against Debian but it's very difficult to
> say which one is the best unless you give it a try...

I think it's time we emphasize the fact that Debian is not (just)
Linux. Debian also comes in BSD and GNU/Hurd flavors. If Open Soalries
is free as well as open, you can be sure some develepors are already
working on a Solaris port that will make the claim moot. When such a
thing happens, it would be like claiming Debian is a better OS than
Red Hat.

When your two products are using similar parts, it really boils down
to ease of use, or in most cases, ease of configuration issues. For
users of the various GNU/Linux systems the question could be rephrased
as: Is Distro X better configured than Distro Y. Or alternatively is
Distro X easier to configure than Distro Y.

Using such criterion, I think the only OS that could remotely stake a
claim to being the most advanced OS is Mac OSX. It has the right blend
of ease of use, ease of configuration, security and system stability.
That is, any shortcomings in security or system stability (medium) is
offset by OSX's ease of use (high).