Re: How to set default compiler to 4.0?

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 02:52:44PM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> I have installed 3 versions og gcc: 3.3 , 3.4 and 4.0. How do I set the
> deafult compiler to 4.0, using the update-alternative command? For some
> reason I do not get a choice if I run "update-alternatives --config c
> ++".
>
> Or should I just change the symlinks in /usr/bin by hand?

Many system libraries are buildusing a specific C/C++ ABI and changing
the system default without rebuilding all the libraries could lead to
trouble.  It is much smarter to just tell each compile you do which
compiler to use for that specific build using the CC environment
variable, or make CC=gcc-4.0 blah or whichever the particular build
system needs.  Of course if the build script are too broken to allow
that, perhaps the author should be convinced to fix them (preferably by
including nice patches and all).

Or you could start running unstable where gcc-4.0 is the default I
believe. :)

Len Sorensen