Re: Examining Swap

Antony Gelberg wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Hello there.

My debian server uses max 50% of its 1 GB ram while im looking at it,
also under stress conditions. Still, if it is running for a few days,
there are about 100 MB swapspace used.

I dont know what is written into the swapfile.
Now i ask myself, how i can find out whats inside of the swapfile, and
most important, why.

Is there a way to examine that?
Is there a way to move the contents of the swapfile back into the (free)
mem manually?

1. Does it really matter ie is this causing you problems, or are you
just worrying about figures for no reason?

The main reason is curiosity. No, i have no problems at all with that. The one and only reason why im asking is because i dont know, and i would like to know. :-)
Im relatively new to linux, and i start to have fun exploring it.

2. The kernel source is the ultimate guide.  I am not a kernel
developer, but perhaps there is documentation out there explaining how
memory management works in Linux, and why certain decisions were made.

Hmm, allright, so i need  a bit more time to spend with that.
Still thanks for pointing me in the direction,

Thomas