Re: ipw2200 issues

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 07:13 +0000, Michael Perry wrote:
> Daniel Nilsson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just about had enough of my problems with the ipw2200 driver and
> > the 2.6.12 kernel. I used to have a rock solid wireless connection
> > while I was using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.8 and ipw2200 driver version
> > 1.0.3 but ever since upgrading the kernel to 2.6.12 (vanilla or debian
> > version doesn't matter) and driver version 1.0.6 or above I can't seem
> > to keep my connection up and running.
> >
> > I've [1]documented my issues in comments 2,3,4, so I wont get in to
> > all the details here. But I'm wondering though if I'm the only one
> > with these kinds of issues? I'm using sarge on an IBM T42 laptop with
> > a built-in "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)" card. 128
> > bit WEP encryption is in use, and I'm the only user on the network
> > (it's my home setup). My access point is an Linksys WAP54G, with the
> > latest FW (3.0.3).
> >
> > Any thoughts or experiences welcome...

I have this same laptop, and was using sarge's 2.6.8 with a recompiled
1.0.6 ipw2200-source from sid and all was well.

I then wanted to try the 2.6.13.x kernel and found that debian's
packaging of ipw2200 (at the time-- this was several weeks ago) would
not compile.  I then just grabbed the latest sources for the firmware
and drivers from upstream, followed their installation instructions and
it all works well again.  My connection lasts all day while listening to
streamed ogg's and doing very network intensive operations.

--
James Strandboge
jamie@strandboge.com