Re: Installation problem on ACER Travelmate 8104WLMi

marc said...
> mirmasa said...
>
> > I can't install debian sarge with kernel 2.6 on my laptop.
> >
> > For solving preliminary problem during kernel loading I disabled acpi:
> >
> > linux26 acpi=off
>
> Less brutal is pci=noacpi
>
> > even if with this option the kernel loads and I'm able to configure the
> > network, the installer does not recognize my hard disk and so I can't
> > continue installation
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> Try installing a 2.4 kernel first, then upgrade. If you can load 2.4,
> but 2.6 fails, then we can look at it again with more information.

(I'm just bringing this back to the correct thread)

As you suggested I installed with kernel 2.4 and then upgraded to 2.6
(kernel-image-2.6-686).

When I reboot the kernel 2.6 does not start. With the acpi=off option
the booting stack with the following errors:

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 424: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

With google search I found that this problem should due to the SATA
driver, but I don?t know how to solve it.

I also tried changing hdaX with sdaX in grub list and etc/stab but
nothing changes.
I can load kernel 2.4, yet.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks,