Re: mysterious change in X authorization behavior

Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com>:
>  On one of my Sarge systems, if X access control is enabled, i.e.
>  "xhost" yields the following output:
>
>      access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

Short answer: don't use xhost.  You can replace it with the much
better xauth:

# -----------------------------------------------------------------
# xhost +localhost                     # Don't!  use xauth instead:
#
# While logged in as your regular user:
# xauth list                           # if you already have keys, skip next.
# xauth generate .                     # perform if you have no auth file.
# xauth nextract $USER.xa $DISPLAY     # should be the only step needed.
#
#                                      # now login to other
#                                      # account/machine (ie., root).
#
# export DISPLAY=$HOSTIP:0.0
# xauth nmerge ~your_user/your_user.xa # now you can use your_user's
#                                      # auth while logged in as root.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt democracy human rights Taiwan Independence