Re: Does increasing RAM 512 MB -> 1 GB lead to better performance?

On tirsdag 01 november 2005, 14:40, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > How often do you deal with large data sets?
>
> What is a 'large data set'? I often see this term but not very sure
> what it means...

In my master's in astrophysics, I created, and subsequently analyzed
files that were around 100 MB.

Nowadays, I'm also playing with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography
Mission, http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/ and it was the reason why I
updated to 1.5 GB RAM.

As for the original question: I would keep an eye on the swap, by for
example running top now and then or install a panel of ksysguard in the
kicker panel if you use KDE. If it is much used, get more RAM. If you
have the money, it is as simple as that, I think...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer