make-kpkg & changing "append-to-version"

Hi,

I'm trying to compile processor-specific kernels for 2 machines, one
k7 and one pII.  the compilation is difficult for some reason, I'm
having to do it over and over, and I'm running up against an annoying
feature of make-kpkg.  If I try to change the "append-to-version"
value in the make-kpkg command after running make xconfig (to change just a
couple of variables), make-kpkg exits with an error ("I thought we were
building version x, but we seem to be building version x").  Anyone
know what I can do to fix this error?  It complicates and vastly
prolongs the build process, which tends to lead to additional errors
with someone like me.

THanks,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price