Re: Overriding (or getting rid of) Helvetica

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 05:54:40AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> I am at a loss.
> My systems in X look great.  Anti-aliasing works, I have True Type
> fonts installed and I am generally happy until some idiot Web page
> author specifies Helvetica instead of the generic sans-serif for a
> display font.  I've added the following to ~/.fonts.conf:
> <-- Use Arial in preference to Helvetica -->
>  <match target="pattern">
>    <test qual="any" name="family">
>      <string>Helvetica</string>
>    </test>
>    <edit name="family" mode="assign">
>      <string>Arial</string>
>    </edit>
>  </match>
> Which, I now find, was overwritten by some other process.  Grrrrrr....
> How do I easily remap the UGLY Helvetica to the more pleasing Arial I
> have already installed.  This affects both Firefox and Konqueror
> equally so I assume the answer is somewhere in the font subsystem which
> seems somewhat like a Hydra.
> I am running KDE on both current Sid and Etch and I'm seeing the same
> effect on each.

If this is ony annyong you or causing problems when you browse the web,
then you should probably make the change in your userContent.css (at
least for Mozilla and Firefox).  I am sure that other browsers use the
same mechanism or a similar one.

Roberto C. Sanchez