Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

2005/10/31, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com>:
> On 10/29/05, Heimdall Midgard <heimdalle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2005/10/30, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com>:
> > > This nautilus-cd-burner would have received my vote ahead of K3b if it
> > > did not toast my CDs so many times and if it could do audio burning.
> > > Also I would be glad if gnomebaker could do multisession for DVDs and
> > > for me, this is the only feature that prevents me from rating it
> > > highest since I love the GTK interface.
> >
> > You probably missed the most important FLOSS software for burning
> > DVDs, dvd+rw-tools. Without dvd+rw-tools and cdrtools, k3b and
> > gnomebaker are just eyecandies, pretty useless. There's also an
> > unofficial DVD patch for cdrtools which AFAICT is unavailable as a
> > binary package under Debian (though its availabe as an unapplied patch
> > in the source package). Sadly, unlike the cdrtools (including the
> > binary-only DVD-enabled vesion), dvd+rw-tools appears to be
> > unmaintained upstream. There hasn't been an update to it in over a
> > year:
> >
> > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
>
> Tell me more about this patch... Does it make dvd+rw-tools unnecessary?

Are you talking about the unofficial DVD patch to cdrtools? It's just
supposed to make the GPL version of cdrecord capable of burning DVDs.
I haven't actually tried using a patched version of cdrecord to burn a
DVD, although the patch applies and compiles cleanly in some versions
of the Debian source package (when the maintainer gets around to
updating the patch). As far as I can tell it appears to be a version
of a patch available here:

http://people.mandriva.com/~warly/files/cdrtools/archives/

So the short answer is, YMMV (it depends). The patch might make the
free version of cdrecord capable of burning DVDs. But it doesn't make
dvd+rw-tools unnecessary, if you're already a happy user of
dvd+rw-tools.

My only worry is that dvd+rw-tools might no longer work with newer DVD
burner units since the program is no longer maintained upstream. All
we're seeing are fancy new front ends to the program.

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.