Re: (OT) Beginner's Linux book recommendation

On 10/31/05, [KS] <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a little bit off topic but I thought I might get some good
> recommendations from subscribers to this list.
>
> A friend of mine has just installed Linux (err...SUSE) after a few
> tries. Now that he has his Linux running, he is curious to start
> learning Linux usage. He emailed to know which book is good for learning
> Linux. I haven't ever used a beginner's book to learn the basics so I
> don't know which one to recommend. Does anyone have some experience in
> this regards? Are there books for learning linux worth recommending?
> Also it would be perfect if the sale of each copy contributed to the OSS
> community.
>
> He wants a "user oriented" book rather than one focusing on
> administration. Also I think it should be a general one rather than for
> a specific distribution.
>
> Thanks for comments,
> /KS
>

> --

One thing I've found to be very helpful is to get a distribution
specific or at least friendly manual to begin with.  Trying to use a
RedHat focused manual on Debian was a pain at first.  When you're just
learning your way around it's important for things to be where they're
supposed to be especially configuration files.

Another good tip is to join the appropriate mailing list.  Lots of
friendly penguinistas out there eager to help.

I'd recommend the RUTE book if he weren't already using Suse.  I'm not
sure what's available that's Suse specific.

John Purser