Re: Remote X login

Elimar Riesebieter said...
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 the mental interface of
> marc told:
>
> [...]
> > Presumably I've missed a step or two in the setup, so I'd
> > appreciate any pointers.
>
> man ssh
> Look for -X option.

I don't understand how to use this.

Used on the client
# ssh -X user@host
ssh logs in, as it does without -X.

If I then try to run, say, kwrite, I receive the error:
# kwrite: cannot connect to X server
which is the same as without the -X option.

Is this the correct way to use this function?

Nevertheless, while this function is certainly useful - if my
understanding is correct that it allows you to use remote named X-based
progs - I still have the requirement of loggin on to a remote machine
via XDM.

--
Best,
Marc