Re: Diskless client problems

Ben Sagal (bmsagal@gmail.com) wrote:

> I have a few diskless clients setup, using a read-only nfs root, and
> with a tmpfs mounted for /var, /home and /tmp.  The system regularly
> prints the following messages:
>    nfs: server 192.168.1.1 not responding, still trying
>    nfs: server 192.168.1.1 OK
> the output from mount on the client is:
>    /dev/root on / type nfs
> (ro,v2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,udp,nolock,addr=192.168.1.1)

Ben,

These kinds of issues are usually related to network issues, see
the NFS HOWTO http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

NFS is rather sensitive with respect to packet loss, and issues with
the cabling for example quickly results in the messages you are
observing. I would first make sure the /sbin/ifconfig doesn't show
and errors associated with the adapter you are using (a lof of
dropped packets, errors, etc). Check hubs switches and all things
related.

When running NFS over a wireless link for example, this has been
is a common problem for me, but you can't really make the wireless
connection perfect such that all packets always arrive on time.
Fortunately you can switch to run NFS over TCP instead which makes a
huge difference for wireless links or other high loss networks. If
you are using normal ethernet and can't find the cause, you could
try to run NFS over TCP instead. It's an option on the mount command.

Hope this helps

/Daniel