Re: Stock vs. Debian kernel sources

John O'Hagan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a brief summary of the differences between Debian kernel sources (such as those provided by the linux-source-2.6* packages), and the stock source from kernel.org.

The reason I ask is that I'm always keen to get the latest kernel, particularly for ACPI improvements (I run testing on a laptop). I compile my own from Debian sources, taking out features I don't use, so it's about a quarter the size of the standard Debian one.

(Noting that the disk space taken up by the source is much more than any kernel image.)

I have to build the ipw2100 and ieee80211 modules externally from source for networking anyway, and I use the realtime-lsm and latest alsa-modules for audio work. I use kernel-package and module-assistant to do it.

What do I need to be aware of if I use stock sources?

You (should) still use make-kpg with vanilla sources. The differences between Debian and vanilla are in /usr/share/doc/<kernel>/changelog.Debian.gz for each version.

Generally, Debian removes non-free firmware and drivers and patches various bits and pieces.