Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)

> ==========================
> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:19:48 -0600
> From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)
> ==========================
>
> Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> >>==========================
> >>Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:20:29 -0500
> >>From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> >>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >>Subject: Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)
> >>==========================
> >>
> >>But you said the shutdown was/is because of a BIOS thermal
> event.
> >>How do you know if there is nothing in the logs?
> >
> > The BIOS itself, during POST, makes very funny noises (instead
> of the customary two beeps) and then stops with a message stating
> that the system was shut down due to termal event.
> > I have to acnowledge it by pressing F4.
> > Then the boot proceeds normally.
> > One other strange thing is some of the filesystems I have are
> found "clean".
> > In the event of a catastrophic crash I would expect to find
> all the mounted filesystems dirty.
> > What am I missing?
> >

> >>My BIOS has a section "PC Health Status", that has in it a
> "shutdown
> >>temperature" enable/disable. Do you have something like that?
> >
> > I see nothing to that effect.
> > I only have a "monitoring" option that shows temperatures,
> voltages and fan speeds.
> > If there is some control funcrtion must be hidden somewhere
> else.
> > Next time I reboot I will have a closer look to all the options
> in order to see if I missed something.
> > BTW: Murphy strikes again: this night the system survived with
> no problems :)
> >

> >>wmtemp is a temperature monitor, it does not record. I wrote
> >>the recording function myself.
>
> What BIOS do you have?
> Unless it is very old there has to be access to en/disable those
> functions.
> What motherboard?
The motherboard is an intel D865GBF.
The BIOS says it is "BF86510A.86A.0060.P16", whatever it means.
I rebooted and I can confirm there is no option to trim the "thermal events".
There only is an option to "handle fan speed" (enabled/disabled) and one to set the "minimal cpu fan speed" (slow/off).
Nothing else.

Another strange point is this BIOS has some event recording facility (enabled!), but the "tewrmal events" that shut down my machine do *not* show up in the BIOS log.

I filed a ticket also with the lm_sensors developers, but I really do not know what to do.
I'm seriously beginning to think I should change the motherboard... but it works flawlessly under XP!

Thanks for Your Patience.
Mauro