Re: Best way to copy a video dvd

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 05:51:38PM -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
Disclaimer: The intended dvds "are not" commercial ones.

There are a few options: 'tovid' (http://tovid.sourceforge.net/), its a nice script for converting video to dvd, that started as a thread at linuxquestions.org. Also, look at 'dvrequant', which, I believe, will do what you want. You have to requantize the video, in order to make it fit into a regular 4.4GB dvd blank media. I don't know whats going on at dvrequant??s home at sourceforge, but this link will lead you right to the point:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvrequant

Tovid is great. The problem was in the size of the dvd. The solution
that I found was to use vobcopy to put the vobs in the hard disk, then
to select which vobs would go to the first dvd, which to the second,
by hand, after a preliminary ls -lh to determine sizes, and subsequent
mplayer to preview the selection; then tovid from the command line as
outlined in http://tovid.sourceforge.net/howto.html
Any improvements to this method will be welcome, may be some small
"Shrinking Commercial DVD to Home DVD HOWTO" can be written. The basic
steps have been outlined above.

Dvrequant can shrink vobs, and make a movie fit into smaller media. It uses the tcrequant tool from transcode to shrink mpeg2 streams. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvrequant