Re: Best way to copy a video dvd

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

I am trying to find the best way to make copies of video dvds,
especially when these are 6-8 gigs, and need to be split in two to fit
the standard consumer dvd size of about 4.4 gigs.
Disclaimer: The intended dvds "are not" commercial ones.

There are a few options: 'tovid' (http://tovid.sourceforge.net/), its a nice script for converting video to dvd, that started as a thread at linuxquestions.org. Also, look at 'dvrequant', which, I believe, will do what you want. You have to requantize the video, in order to make it fit into a regular 4.4GB dvd blank media. I don't know whats going on at dvrequant´s home at sourceforge, but this link will lead you right to the point:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvrequant

It will aks for a bunch of deps. You will have to add a marillat source to your sources.list and apt-get some tools like transcode, ffmpeg, and others. But its really easy.

Good luck. Ask further, if you wish.